Abacus CPAs, LLC, joins a nationwide campaign to mark the 4th annual National Tax Security Awareness Week, calling on people to step up their security safeguards against identity theft as the 2020 tax season approaches.
The holiday shopping season is the prime time for identity thieves who are trying to steal financial and personal data, either to drain credit/bank accounts or file fraudulent tax returns in the victims’ names early in 2020.
Abacus CPAs, LLC, is partnering with the Internal Revenue Service, state tax agencies, the nation’s tax industry, and other partners to elevate awareness around basic security steps. Remember, treat your data like your dollars; don’t leave them lying around.
During this holiday season, there are basic steps people can easily overlook that they can take to protect themselves.
• Shop at websites where the web address begins “https” – the “s” is for secure communications.
• Don’t shop on unsecured public wi-fi in malls or hotels, where thieves can tap in.
• Secure you home wi-fi with a password.
• Use security software for computers and mobile phones; keep it updated.
• Protect your personal information; don’t hand it out to just anyone.
• Use strong and unique passwords for your accounts.
• Use two-factor authentication whenever possible. 8
• Back up your files on computers and mobile phones.
• These emails tell an urgent story to trick you into opening a link or an attachment, which can lead to adding a virus or spyware onto your computer.And, no, that’s not the IRS calling demanding a tax payment on a gift card. Remember:• The IRS does not call demanding payment and making threats of jail or lawsuits
• The IRS does not demand payment via gift or debit cards. The IRS does not accept tax payments on iTunes cards. At tax time, checks should be addressed to “U.S. Treasury.”
• The IRS does not send unsolicited emails about refunds or payments, requesting your login credentials, Social Security numbers or other sensitive information.
Just a few simple security steps can make all this different. Protect your data; protect your money and your financial information.
Abacus CPAs LLC has a great team of business, tax and accounting professionals to help you make better decisions, if you are interested and want to hear more, please call 417-823-7171, or visit our website at www.abacuscpas.com and we are here to serve you and your business.
At Abacus™ CPAs, our focus is you! We believe that our employees and clients deserve to interact in an environment that fosters growth, trust, and confidence. Abacus™ professionals provide leadership by relentlessly pursuing the best guidance possible so those we serve can make smarter decisions.